Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

On Sun, 5 May 2002 23:48:10 +1000, "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>
wrote:
>Hold on... IS any spam coming from t-online, gmx and web.de?

Yes. But if you want to get rid of _any_ spam, shut down your MTA.
Which will yield about the same effect than using Spamcop as a German
ISP.

>And Spamcop does *NOT* block entire ranges of IPs like other RBLs, so it
>is virtually impossible for you to say that t-online, gmx and web.de are
>"blocked". Only the spamming IPs within their ranges would be blocked, NOT
>the entire range.

T-Online does Port 25 blocking, forcing you to use their smarthost.
GMX and web.de are e-mail only services and offer SMTP-AUTH-based
e-mail services. If their smarthost gets blocked, I dare to say that
T-Online is blocked. I couldn't receive _any_ e-mail from _any_
T-Online user for a week, which virtually means shutting me off from
Germany's largest-by-far end-user ISP.

>Then, if GMX and these other ISPs kick out that spammer, after 1 week that
>IP is again clear, so it can again send email.

Great. After two hours, I'd have customers complaining.

>This is why Spamcop's collateral damage is much lower than others in that
>it does not block entire ranges, and which is why it is suitable for an
>ISP or Hosting company to use.

I have never seen a RBL list that causes that much collateral damage
like Spamcop. Even SPEWS does not have that much collateral damage.

Spamcop is by far the worst RBL for an ISP to use.

Greetings
Marc