Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

>And Spamcop does *NOT* block entire ranges of IPs like other RBLs, so it
>is virtually impossible for you to say that t-online, gmx and web.de are
>"blocked". Only the spamming IPs within their ranges would be blocked,
NOT
>the entire range.

>T-Online does Port 25 blocking, forcing you to use their smarthost.
>GMX and web.de are e-mail only services and offer SMTP-AUTH-based
>e-mail services. If their smarthost gets blocked, I dare to say that
>T-Online is blocked. I couldn't receive _any_ e-mail from _any_
>T-Online user for a week, which virtually means shutting me off from
>Germany's largest-by-far end-user ISP.

In that case, T-Online will not have a problem, as the user's IP will be
blocked, not the mail server, UNLESS T-Online has setup their mail server
to hide their user's IP, which most ISPs do not do.

On the other hand, it would be weird if GMX and web.de only have 1
outgoing mail server. I assume that they, like hotmail and other freemail
services, would have many multiple outgoing mail servers to handle their
traffic (just for example, mail12.web.de, mail6.web.de, etc.). Then only
one of the mail servers, at most, would be blocked.

And anyway, spam really shouldn't be able to come out of web-based email
services. Don't they have rate-limiting or anything like that implemented?
I know that even with Hotmail's service, if you set it up on Outlook
Express to bypass their web-based login, that your IP *does* should up in
the email sent. Your IP does not should up if you login via the web, but
then, you cannot send many emails. So there is a trade-off... so web-based
email providers would all probably be smart enough to implement a similar
system, right?

>Then, if GMX and these other ISPs kick out that spammer, after 1 week
that
>IP is again clear, so it can again send email.

>Great. After two hours, I'd have customers complaining.

True, but I was assuming that these companies have more than one IP, and
more than one mail server.

And as I said, a dialup/broadband ISP will not have a problem, as the
block IP will be that of their customer, not of their mail server.

A web-based freemail provider will also not have a problem, as they
*should* implement rate-limiting on their outgoing mail (to stop people
sendng 1,000 emails/day from their account, and other silly things like
that).

Now, if gmx and web.de allow people to send unlimited emails from their
account, and other stupid things like that, then perhaps they will be
blocked. But would they be that stupid?