Re: Help with 6to4 on a router

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 21:00 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Jeroen Massar a écrit :

> >>Yes, but it actually provides some (apparently limited) IPv6 support on
> >>my Win2k station. Stateless autoconfiguration using Router Advertisement
> >>from radvd running on my Debian gateway and the utilities provided by
> >>the patch (ftp, telnet, ping6, tracert6) work, but I have been unable to
> >>have any supposedly IPv6-capable web browser or FTP client such as
> >>Mozilla/Firefox or FileZilla working on it. *Sigh*
> >
> > Well, as Win2k was the platform I did PuTTY IPv6 on
>
> Did you ? Well, thanks a lot for it, I appreciated. :-)

Google thinks so, and your welcome ;)

> > The reason MSIE doesn't work is because of wininet.dll
>
> I hardly use MSIE (too many flaws, too often), so I didn't even bother
> trying to browse IPv6 sites with it. Do you know whether other software
> such as Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird use this DLL ?

WinAmp uses wininet.dll and there are a number of other applications eg
Windows Media Player and anything in Visual Basic etc. It is supposed to
be the generic way for applications to use HTTP and FTP functions, thus
programmers who don't want to code it themselves could use it.

> > You can circumvent that partially by using the binaries from:
> >
> > http://www.sixxs.net/archive/windows/
> >
> > Which as the README in it tells you are patched up versions of
> > wininet.dll so that it should be newer than what is available.
>
> I know, I have them on my hard disk. But even those files are older
> (2003) than the wininet.dll on my workstation (2005). So I'm afraid that
> they still contain some uncorrected flaws. :-(

They sure will do.

> > General idea is: Avoid Win2k (this is a debian list afterall ;)
>
> Sorry, I'm not ready for this. Debian is just fine as my
> gateway/firewall/server, but not yet as my workstation.

That indeed depends completely for ones needs, what one likes etc.
Most people still tend to like it as a desktop, others hate it. All a
personal choice in my opinion.

But for Windows and Linux and mostly anything including cellphones and
mp3 players, cars etc... it is pretty easy:
  when you want cool new things then get the latest stuff

NT4's IPv6 stack (which comes with full source excluding DDK btw) worked
reasonably, Win2k's IPv6 stack worked quite well too. WinXP's stack was
the same as Win2k Tech Preview one. XP SP1 + Advanced Networking Pack
was the first true completely debugged stack which worked really well
and with SP2 one doesn't notice any issues at all any more.

Now the fun part (on a debian list ;) : Windows 2003 Server
This stack is a bit newer than it's XP SP2 version and the best part,
you can try it out for free!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx
Which means you have a 180 fully working IPv6 capable Windows box.
Thus you don't have to get an XP license for 180 days and still can
benefit from all the new features.

One 'side-effect', it is a server edition so you need to tweak it a bit
down to become more responsive for end-user needs and some other tricks.
But at least it allows you to test out all it's IPv6 functionality and
have an up-to-date Windows version without silly bugs.

Greets,
 Jeroen
  (Who currently doesn't have a Windows box around as
   my laptop is broken)