Re: Help with 6to4 on a router

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:37:18AM -0600, George P Boutwell wrote:
> Ok..
>
>   I have 6to4 setup and working (I believe reliably) for some time now
> on my router.  Now I want my IPv4 (only capable of IPv4) machines
> behind this router to be able to browse and use IPv6 hosts?  Is this
> possible?

Easiest solution which works for at least most websites:
  http://ipv6gate.sixxs.net

Or http://www.debian.org.sixxs.org ;)

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 23:38 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> George P Boutwell a écrit :
> >>an IPv6 stack for Win2k on Microsoft official site [3] ;)
> >>
> >>[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6.asp
> >
> > Jérémie, I just want to point out for the benefit of others following
> > this thread some things. 1) This is a pretty old IPv6 stack...
> > 2) It's experimental and never was released, it was only a Tech Preview
>
> Yes, but it actually provides some (apparently limited) IPv6 support on
> my Win2k station. Stateless autoconfiguration using Router Advertisement
> from radvd running on my Debian gateway and the utilities provided by
> the patch (ftp, telnet, ping6, tracert6) work, but I have been unable to
> have any supposedly IPv6-capable web browser or FTP client such as
> Mozilla/Firefox or FileZilla working on it. *Sigh*

Well, as Win2k was the platform I did PuTTY IPv6 on I am pretty sure
that should work. The reason MSIE doesn't work is because of wininet.dll
You can circumvent that partially by using the binaries from:

http://www.sixxs.net/archive/windows/

Which as the README in it tells you are patched up versions of
wininet.dll so that it should be newer than what is available.

General idea is: Avoid Win2k (this is a debian list afterall ;)

[..]
> and telnet6.exe and manually copied them into the Windows directory, but
> did not dare replace the DLL since the newer version addresses security
> issues.

Indeed, the security issue is something to watch out with. The other
thing is that the older wininet.dll will break the cookies in IE for
some weird reason ;)

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 13:42 -0600, George P Boutwell wrote:
> On 3/30/06, Jeremie Corbier wrote:
> >
> > Well, you can use things like totd [1] to proxy DNS requests and
> > translate IPv6 replies to IPv4 ones.
> >
> > [1] http://www.vermicelli.pasta.cs.uit.no/ipv6/software.html
> > [2] http://v6web.litech.org/ptrtd/
>
> Thanks... I'll look into these as well.
>
> > Sadly, both projects look like they are not developed anymore. And it
> > will be quite a bunch of difficulties to set this up when you can find
> > an IPv6 stack for Win2k on Microsoft official site [3] ;)
> >
> > [3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6.asp
>
> Jérémie, I just want to point out for the benefit of others following
> this thread some things. 1) This is a pretty old IPv6 stack...
> 2) It's experimental and never was released, it was only a Tech Preview
> 3) It's only available for Win2k SP1, that is to say that I was not
> able to install it on my Win2k SP4 machines.

[..]
> > That doesn't really make sense.
>
> Tell that to Microsoft who doesn't offer an IPv6 solution for Win2k
> machines.

Look at the dates of the first URL, people have been doing that for a
long long time already. Next to that Win2k has been EOL'd and for a good
reason. Next to that, be glad that there is something for it. You can
always upgrade, like you upgraded your 1.0 linux kernel to 2.6, except
that with M$ gear you indeed have to shell out cash... one has the
choice of a free alternative ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen