Re: Help with 6to4 on a router

Hello,

George P Boutwell a écrit :
an IPv6 stack for Win2k on Microsoft official site [3] ;)

[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6.asp

Jérémie, I just want to point out for the benefit of others following
this thread some things. 1) This is a pretty old IPv6 stack...
2) It's experimental and never was released, it was only a Tech Preview

Yes, but it actually provides some (apparently limited) IPv6 support on my Win2k station. Stateless autoconfiguration using Router Advertisement from radvd running on my Debian gateway and the utilities provided by the patch (ftp, telnet, ping6, tracert6) work, but I have been unable to have any supposedly IPv6-capable web browser or FTP client such as Mozilla/Firefox or FileZilla working on it. *Sigh*

3) It's only available for Win2k SP1, that is to say that I was not
able to install it on my Win2k SP4 machines.

The FAQ http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/faq.asp describes a workaround to install it on post-SP1 Win2k. It worked for me.

[quote]
To install the Microsoft IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000 on a computer running Windows 2000 and Service Pack 4, do the following:

1. Save the file tpipv6-001205.exe from the download page to a local folder (for example, C:\IPv6TP). 2. From the local folder (C:\IPv6TP), run Tpipv6-001205.exe and extract the files to the same location. 3. From the local folder (C:\IPv6TP), run Setup.exe -x and extract the files to a subfolder of the current folder (for example, C:\IPv6TP\files). 4. From the folder containing the extracted files (C:\IPv6TP\files), open the file Hotfix.inf in a text editor. 5. In the [Version] section of the Hotfix.inf file, change the line NTServicePackVersion=256 to NTServicePackVersion=1024, and then save changes. 6. From the folder containing the extracted files (C:\IPv6TP\files), run Hotfix.exe.
   7. Restart the computer when prompted.
[end of quote]

Some files won't be automatically copied, because they would replace some newer system files from the SP4 or security updates, especially ftp.exe, telnet.exe and wininet.dll. I renamed the two EXE to ftp6.exe and telnet6.exe and manually copied them into the Windows directory, but did not dare replace the DLL since the newer version addresses security issues.