Re: Newbie help / Project status query

Jason Williams wrote:

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 04:03:57PM +0100, Fabbione wrote:

I will take a look to it... I start to get curios if I can install debian from ipv6 directly.... maybe some hack here and there.... who knows :))))))

Excellent :-)  I'm still new at this, myself. I'm writing a DHCPv6 client
and server as a degree project though, so I'm learning fairly quickly.

Can I also ask, why does the IPv6 project need separate apt repositories?
Could those packages that have separate IPv6 versions not be put in the
main debian repository with an "-ipv6" suffix to the package name, or
something?

I have raised a similar question long time ago but to be hounest I don't remember the answer. Anyway there is already a long list of packages that support IPv6 in main. The point is that packages that need patch might have some problems to go in main. I can only suppose that there might be some pkgs explosion in the main. Try to imagine Apache 1.3.20 plus apache 2 plus and apache 1.3.19+ipv6. How are you going to deal with all the plugins??? (just an example this need to be clear). The first issue is that you are going to have 3 different version of the same piece of software and then you need to triplicate the number of plugins... the work that mantainers need to do... and so on...
It would be 10000 times easier if the upstream can provide native ipv6.

Fabbione

--
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable Kernel 2.4.9
fabbione on irc.atdot.it #coredump #kchat | fabbione@fabbione.net