Re: Newbie help / Project status query

Jason Williams wrote:

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:55:27AM +0100, Fabbione wrote:

Actally from my experience the only thing that is really missing
is a better integration of the sit interface configuration in /etc/network/interface.

I think what's missing is for IPv6 to have equal status with IPv4, from
the install onwards. When you install debian, you should get a menu before
the network setup for you to decide IPv4/IPv6/Dual-stack. (Eventually)

That is also true but at the moment to be hounest it still not that urgent (atleast from my point of view)

By the way if you have a bit of fantasy
you can manage to make it working easily.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - perhaps "If you have a bit of
imagination you can manage to make it work easily" or "It's a fantasy
to expect it to work easily"?

ahhahahhaha... yeah ok the point is to handle sit interface you need

a certain number of info (4 to 6 exactly).
You need the ipv6 address for the sit interface, the mask eventually
the gateway and two endpoints for the ipv4 tunnel + some info for the
tunnel itself like the TTL (that you need to specify because the default is not working). The ifup command (that's a binary file and I don't understand why???) is not able to parse all those information.
So you need to put some entries to modify the tunnel itself in the
section "up" of the sit interface. Pretty anoying by the way
since if "ifup/ifdown" were 2 simple scripts calling external
program I were able to build a patch. But they are not (and always
to make external call as far as I can see).

Fabbione

--
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable Kernel 2.4.13
fabbione on irc.atdot.it #coredump #kchat | fabbione@fabbione.net