Re: Interix Installation Issue - apparently solved

Martin, thank you for the support you provide.  I'm sure this is not a
minor amount of time which you have to invest in keeping this project
on track.  I have just a couple of quick questions.

1. I think Debian is a great project, it was my firt introduction to
Linux about four years ago.  The current Debian Linux installer brings
the user a full OS/Desktop/Network compliment with a X-Server and Gnome
desktop suite. I understand that Interix is really meant as a way for
Windows developers to migrate Unix applications to Windows.  I
believe this is also your reason for the Debian-Interix project and you
only expect to provide some the great Debian build tools and have no
intent to have users that run Unix or Linux applications
in an X-Window in order to get the best of both worlds applications.
Is my understand correct?

I ask because I know that Microsoft's support for XP, as of this week,
is only going to be security fixes. I'm using Debian-Interix to relearn
the Unix environment, in preparation to migrate to UNIX has my core
OS.  I will eventually have to learn WINE for certain Windows only
applications.  So if I was to install XMing will there be enough
userland applications built for Debian-Interix to feel comfortable
and be prepared to move to Debian/kFreeBSD or Debian/Hurd in the next
year or two. Your thoughts?

2. If I'm in the windows user account (member of Administrator group)
and using ksh login to Administrator I still don't get the /usr/sbin
and /sbin paths when I type echo $PATH, I do get them as the user.  When
I use ksh login to Administrator there is a warning of command
not found syntax error :line 75; unexpected end of file.   If I use ed
to look at line 75 it is the PATH command and the line reads as
PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin ; export PATH.  This is the last line in the
file.  Can you see anything that is missing in the line which would
cause a command error?

3. If I attempt to login as su I'm promted for the password.  What is
the su password?  I thought it would be the Administrator's password,
but that doesn't work, I also tried simple return.

4. Do I need to add the non-free src to get the right builds?  I plan
to use your "How to build..." documents and example build of athena
after correcting my DEP potential issue by using Franz'z path, I have a
AMD64 processor but run in 32 bit mode.

5. I'm a security aware person in Windows, but not so sure of
myself with Interix. For example, which servers are actually running
and which could allow access to my system from the network? Do you have
a basic document to describe how to protect the Interix environment from
network attacks, virus, malware and spyware? Or is the Interix
environment protected by the Win32 environment?

6. Lastly, since the Interop site has forums to help people.  I'm
wondering how much of what is in those foums can be applied to a
Debian-Interix environment? I'm assuming all of it, which isn't
connected to the build tools, and even much of that.  Again, your
thoughts are appreciated to help guide my learning in this environment.

Thanks again,
Brian Amundsen
IN GOD WE TRUST

HP Pavillion m1160 WinXP Media Center 2002, SP3 on AMD64 + 2G
Interix SFU 3.5 + 913030, 929141, 942312
Debian-Interix unreleased35

Brian Amundsen
3048 Woodale Drive
Mounds View MN 55112-4467