Re: Localization requirements?

Helge Kreutzmann writes:
 > Are you also upstream or in close contact with upstream? In this case
 > you should decide which "translation community" you might want to use.
 > Some Debian-native software is translated by the Debian teams and some
 > authors collect translations where they get them. Others use launchpad
 > or translation project (TP). If you software is part of a DE (e.g.
 > KDE, GNOME) you might want to check their translation infrastructure.

Ok, great, with this particular package I'm also the upstream so any
translations etc. get included upstream very easily. The sw is written
on top of Qt and is not part of any larger collection -> this would
leave me the translation project TP or I could talk to launchpad? I
understood ubuntu wily (15.10) might include the software too, so ubuntu
users might want to help too?

 > translators from this community to participate, it is probably best to
 > provide a "pot" file for them. (This is also the reason the PTS does
 > not show the current translation - it is only looking for *.po files).

Are the translators normally operating on top of the pot-file only?
There is room for comments so if translator sees this file only, the
comments would need to contain a lot of explanation about the context
where string is used? Just asking, as the qt-linguist can show part of
the context during workflow, say if you're translating a dialog, it
will show the dialog and highlight each string as they get translated.

Where do tranlators get the pot-file? From sources uploaded to debian
archive? If so, in practice I would need to prepare a pot-file with proper
comments, include it with sources and then upload a new version to
debian archive?

--
Antti Järvinen