Re: Localization requirements?

Hello Antti,
On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 07:47:35PM +0300, Antti J ä rvinen wrote:
> Helge Kreutzmann writes:
>  > translators from this community to participate, it is probably best to
>  > provide a "pot" file for them. (This is also the reason the PTS does
>  > not show the current translation - it is only looking for *.po files).
>
> Are the translators normally operating on top of the pot-file only?

In the Debian community, yes.

> There is room for comments so if translator sees this file only, the
> comments would need to contain a lot of explanation about the context
> where string is used? Just asking, as the qt-linguist can show part of
> the context during workflow, say if you're translating a dialog, it
> will show the dialog and highlight each string as they get translated.

Well, if you need context, po can provide it as well, but it is a
rather manual task (you have to mark up the source).

> Where do tranlators get the pot-file? From sources uploaded to debian
> archive? If so, in practice I would need to prepare a pot-file with proper
> comments, include it with sources and then upload a new version to
> debian archive?

I personally know about three possible ways:
a) Some translators pick them up from the overview pages, notably
those which have large translation teams or very diligent translators,
c.f. https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/ for an overview and
subsequent pages for each language.

b) You announce them here, asking for translators. If you like to go
that route, check out podebconf-report-po(1). (Yes, even for plain po
translations).

c) Users or previous translators check regularly for the translation
status and provide you with updates (some might even commit directly
to your VCS, if possible).

For all cases, of course, pot files are a necessity, for a) it needs
to be in the sources in debian, for b) you can provide them "on
demand" and for c) they need to be available somewhere too as well.
(Maybe experienced translators might of course also pick up your
native format).

Greetings

         Helge