Re: Localization requirements?

Hello Antti,
thanks that you take care of non-english speaking users!

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 10:34:32PM +0300, Antti J ä rvinen wrote:
> I've recently managed to package a brand new piece of software into
> debian distribution, please see https://packages.debian.org/sid/classified-ads
> for details. As the application is a messaging app, and the current choice
> of languages at run-time is limited to english, finnish and very errorneous
> swedish, I see the translation situation being very grim. For this
> reason I'm approaching you, asking if there is anything to be done
> from upstream side of sw to get humans capable to do translation into
> foreign languages to get interested about this package??

Are you also upstream or in close contact with upstream? In this case
you should decide which "translation community" you might want to use.
Some Debian-native software is translated by the Debian teams and some
authors collect translations where they get them. Others use launchpad
or translation project (TP). If you software is part of a DE (e.g.
KDE, GNOME) you might want to check their translation infrastructure.

Once you settled the *where*,

> The software is written on top of Qt library, using translation system
> of Qt (QObject.tr() etc.) so linguist-qt works out-of-the-box but if
> there are translators who expect other input file formats or if there
> is any technical tricks to be done upstream to smooth the translation
> process, I'd be glad to implement any potentially helpful features
> upstream.

you need to settle the how. Within Debian, most translation is done
using the gnu gettext(1) or the po4a(1) framework. So if you want
translators from this community to participate, it is probably best to
provide a "pot" file for them. (This is also the reason the PTS does
not show the current translation - it is only looking for *.po files).

On a quick look, lconvert from qt4-dev-tools might do the trick.
Unfortunately it does not have a manpage, so you might need to search
for further information.

Hope this helps and thanks again for taking care of the "rest" of the
users :-))

         Helge