Re: Again about anonymous contributions to DDT*

On 13/08/2011 15:07, Martin Eberhard Schauer wrote:

It unfortunately seems that several contributors, here around, now
seem more interested in quantity than quality,
probably there are people, like me, that don't know very well English,
so they use also the DDTSS to learn, but I think that it is more fast and
simple to correct some wrong words/sentences than translate all from
zero.
How and what do you learn?

reading others translations, reading translations comments , asking help to others translators, ...

There are for some reasons really bad translations

That true

- as well as there are lots of strange descriptions that
are "word salad" even for native speakers.

I will never be able to translate correctly those "strange" descriptions :-(

What can be learned here is teamwork, how to make and digest fair
comments, making compromises, researching ...

yes

Another point of view: This description is of little use. Well, I have a
plug-in for some software. I obviously don't need it when the base
software is not installed. But I would like to know is, what this
plug-in can do for me. One could postpone the translation and
file an RC bug. Copied from debian policy:

3.4 The description of a package

Every Debian package must have a Description control field which
contains a synopsis and extended description of the package.
Technical information about the format of the Description field is in
Description, Section 5.6.13.

** The description should describe the package (the program) to a user
(system administrator) who has never met it before so that they have
enough information to decide whether they want to install it. ** This
description should not just be copied verbatim from the program's
documentation.

interesting

Ciao
Davide