Re: HELP: maint-guide translation proofing for zh_TW

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 00:05, Kan-Ru Chen <koster@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here we are discussing the case converting the phrases used by zh_CN
> to zh_TW. Some terms below is convention in Taiwan.
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM, YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> s/文檔/文件/g
>>         In hans, 文檔 and 文件 is not same.文檔 means something like help files,etc.
>>         Isn't it in hans?
>
> It's interchangeable. 文件 usually means documents. I think it's
> appropriate since the original word is document. The use of 文檔 is rare
> here.

As I replied in previous mail, 文档 is the appropriate translation for
this particular situation in zh_CN.

>> s/示例/範例/g
>>         I have no idea about this. 範例 may be better than 示例 ?
>
> We use 範例 in Taiwan.

In Chinese, 示例 is more likely describing examples for a work, and 范例
for a thing that others could learn.

>> s/軟體包/套件/g
>>         here,軟體包 means deb packages. What is it called in hans?
>>         套件  may means a packages that contains lots of software?
>
> No, 套件 means packages, deb package is a package so 套件 is appropriate here.

套件 means a set of things in Chinese, so deb package should be called
as "软件包" for zh_CN.

>> s/這講/時/g # gnupg, typo, should also be fixed in the cn version
>>         +1
>>
>> s/刷新/更新/g
>>         In hans, 刷新(Reload) means reload or something like this. But
>> 更新(update) may need something hard work.
>
> We do not distinguish between reload and update very much. 更新 usually
> can express both. But if you really want to reload something you can
> use 重新整理 or 重整. Since in the maint-guide the first appearance of 刷新 is
> translated from "quilt refresh", I think 更新 is more appropriate here.

In fact, update and refresh are quite different in other zh_CN
software translation, "refresh" is much more like "reload" in many
context, and "update" is something like "upgrade".

>> # s/開源//g not sure
>>         As talking in debian-i18n, let's ignore all of
>> software,non-free, just for now.
>
> Not meant to delete that term. Just not sure how to convert this term,
> or not convert at all. We use 開放原始碼, but also use 開源 which largely
> influenced by mainland usage.

Yes, in zh_CN we use "开源" more.

>> # s/項目//g not sure
>>        part agree. Some 項目 indeed should be 工程,just like "Gnu 項目"
>
> We often use 專案 to express this term. But I think 項目 is understandable
> so to avoid change other appearances of 項目 which didn't mean "Project"
> by accident, I left this for later judgement.

This is a thing that not easy to judge sometimes, and we are finding a
good solution as well.

>> s/參看/參考/g
>>        No idea
>
> 參看 is rare here.

参看 is more specific to references in a book, manual, or something in
this kind, when we are using 参考 in a book, it is more likely "查看 ...
作为参考".

>> s/在綫資源/線上資源/g # in fact, 綫 should be 線
>>        It should fault of opencc
>
> Besides the opencc failure, we usually use 線上 instead of 在線
>
>> s/庫/函式庫/g
>>        There are several 庫, I agree that 2 are chaged to 函式庫     库则较难处理    库软件包
>>
>> s/裏麵/裏面/g # in fact, 麵 should be 面, it's not inter-changeable. maybe a
>> error of opencc
>>        +1
>>
>> s/歸檔檔案/壓縮檔/g
>> s/解包/解壓縮/g
>>        for these two, In origial  English, it not mentioned
>> uncompressing, just unpack.
>
> But unpack is usually expressed as uncompressing. It's not
> distinguishable from some GUI archive management program. In original
> version the 解包 comes from uncompressing the upstream tarball, which is
> indeed a compressed file.
>
>> s/相噹/相當/g # in fact, 噹 should be 當, it's not inter-changeable. maybe a
>> error of opencc
>>        +1
>>
>> s/圖標/圖示/g
>>        圖標==icon in hans
>
> We use 圖示 instead of 圖標
>
>> s/遞歸/遞迴/g
>>        a error of opencc?
>
> Not sure if 遞歸 is used in mainland or not.
>
>> s/其他命令去/其他命令前/g # typo, should also be fixed in the cn version
>>        +1
>>
>> s/需要我們編,需要我們編輯輯/需要我們編輯/g # doubled, should also be fixed the cn version
>>        +2 note: 輯 is doubled,too.

Fixed.

--
Regards,