A package by any other name... (was: Re: Package name? (was: Re: Announce of the upcoming NMU for the mysql-dfsg-5.0 package

On 17/06/2008, at 1:33 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Quoting Gerfried Fuchs (rhonda@deb.at):

Though: Clytie's point is still there: Are the translations lost in
between, is there so many changes that it makes the translation drop
completely? From looking at the changelog of mysql 5.0 it is in fact
based on the mysql 4.1 packages which were based on the mysql 4.0
packages ...

Something that I already mentioned to maintainers each time they were
breaking templates for these packages (which happened a *lot*)...

But, indeed, that part of the work can only be done by
maintainers. We, translators, have few possible actions (except using
a compendium on our side, of course).

I usually don't run a compendium over shorter files, but I probably should, in these cases where the files are evidently based on previous files with a similar name. (Then again, how would I know that? :S)

Mostly, debconf templates are brief, and some are updated so infrequently, they really need a complete review each time, since technical vocabulary is always developing.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n