Re: getting translated description of packages through apt

On 10/30/07, Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> wrote:
>  Strange, I see it now. Though, this was exactly what Jens told me back
> then that it doesn't work and that the descriptions get locked and are
> not available for translation anymore - and usually I believe people on
> what they claim, especially when they say it with their translation
> coordinator's hat on.

It's quite possible it was true once. The system isn't that old and
has been through several generations... It's also true that by
*default* you only get untranslated descriptions. However,
translations have never been locked (at least, not while I've been
here).

>  Still, there's no chance at all to send hints to those that make
> obvious mistakes to help them improve because no login nor
> authentication system is used at all. :/

For DDTP this is true, for DDTSS there is a login system and language
teams can opt to only allow people with logins to edit stuff. There
are quite a few options, but they're not much used.

I hear there's a pootle thing in the works, I hope that gets going some time...

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/