Re: Status of work on the Debian Pootle server i18n.debian.net:8080

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 12:07:38PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 14 January 2007 11:38, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Last weeks have seen a lot of progress on the Pootle installation on
> > i18n.debian.net. This mail will try to summarize them.
>
> Thank you for the update, but, to be honest, I am more concerned about the
> future plans and especially the moment that pootle will be opened for
> actual use.
>
> We have always identified as essential functionality:
> - the support for (and the ability to manage) team and translator
>   ownership of translations;
> - support for team review policy.
>
> I don't believe this is implemented yet (and you confirmed the first one
> on IRC). Especially with the occasional horror stories of what happens
> with "our" translations in Ubuntu sometimes in mind, I personally would
> not like to see any of "my" translations (including the Dutch D-I
> translation) to be opened up for modification through pootle before such
> a mechanism is in place.
>
> I feel that at the very least translators should be able to lock down any
> (individual) or all translations for their language before any editing is
> allowed that could end up in uploads of packages.

It is currently possible to define rights for users in a project/language.

This is probably not sufficient since one user who can change the
translations of one file can also change another file (there are not
that many files in D-I so coordination between the knights of Nicky-Nicky
could be enough; for po-debconf or DDTP, there are too many files for an
efficient communication).

There is also the ability to set goals and assign goals to users. This
permits to assign strings/files to an user.
But anybody who has the right to translate can change a file assigned to
somebody else.
I will try to make a patch to change 'goals' to 'reservations', i.e. only
allow making suggestions when a string is assigned to somebody else.

For the "support for team review policy", I'm also looking for ideas.
Nothing done yet (except the existing 'suggestions' feature).
I would like to have the possibility to ask for a review:
 * of all the strings in a file
 * of the strings which changed since a previous call for review
The review itself could then be done a suggestions in Pootle or on the
mailing lists.

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral