Re: D-I Manual stats very old?

On 14/07/2006, at 6:41 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 05:11:28PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
On 14/07/2006, at 4:11 AM, Frans Pop wrote:
P.S. would you _please_ stop using "<" and ">" in your translations!
I had to fix another one today...

Sorry again. It works well for PO format, separating URLs from
heavily-accented text: I might need to go for inner guillemets
instead, since it doesn't work for PO-Docbook. Time to hack my
keyboard layout again...

No!
I'm sure you misunderstood Frans again.

It's not valid XML to use literal (not part of tags) < and >.
There is no relation to PO format at all. Maybe you refer to the fact,
that "msgfmt -cv vi.po" will not complain, that's right.

You should also understand that XML, such as DocBook, strictly separates
between content and style/formating.

files for <email> to produce »me@server« in the output.

I haven't tested it and it may indeed not realistic to do so, but I'm sure your attempt will not produce valid e-mails addresses for example in HTML or PDF, since the link would refer to »me@server« which is of course invalid.

»<email>me@server</email>« would be OK but that's no good XML!

Jens, I didn't mean any of that.

What I meant is that in usual PO files, ones not containing any XML tags or any text formatting, I do use angle brackets to distinguish URLs, e.g.

Report bugs to <bugs@anywhere.net>.

I started this after I saw it often in the original strings of application PO files, because it works well for my language, which has a lot of diacritics, so needs careful distinction between different types of text.

Of course I'm not going to combine that sort of added formatting in plain files with XML or any other kind of formatting. I'm simply reminding myself that since I've already accidentally used it in a PO file containing XML, it might be a good idea to change my practice overall, especially since I'm translating more and more documentation nowadays. If I used:

Report bugs to ‹ bugs@anywhere.net ›.

It's not as clear, but its better than using the angle brackets and thus accidentally also using them in PO files with other formatting. If I do forget, and use them in formatted PO files, these inner angle quotes won't break the build, as my accidental use of angle brackets has done.

I do have trouble remembering things, so I try and work out "foolproof" methods that will allow for this, so I can fix mistakes, but meanwhile the mistakes don't inconvenience others. ;)

Perhaps I should have explained myself in detail.