Re: D-I Manual stats very old?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 05:11:28PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 14/07/2006, at 4:11 AM, Frans Pop wrote:
> >P.S. would you _please_ stop using "<" and ">" in your translations!
> >I had to fix another one today...
>
> Sorry again. It works well for PO format, separating URLs from
> heavily-accented text: I might need to go for inner guillemets
> instead, since it doesn't work for PO-Docbook. Time to hack my
> keyboard layout again...

No!
I'm sure you misunderstood Frans again.

It's not valid XML to use literal (not part of tags) < and >.
There is no relation to PO format at all. Maybe you refer to the fact,
that "msgfmt -cv vi.po" will not complain, that's right.

You should also understand that XML, such as DocBook, strictly separates
between content and style/formating.

If you really want e-mail addresses to look different, you should not write
files for <email> to produce »me@server« in the output.

I haven't tested it and it may indeed not realistic to do so, but I'm sure
your attempt will not produce valid e-mails addresses for example in HTML or
PDF, since the link would refer to »me@server« which is of course invalid.

»<email>me@server</email>« would be OK but that's no good XML!

Jens