English double spaces after punctuation, was: About dpkg translation, please consider i18n when choosing words

Clytie wrote:
> Double spaces are not valid in English. I have no idea why they =20
> are used in some .po files. I always remove them.

They are taught in English schools and regarded as pretty
usual. At least, schools who still teach typing. Even fmt puts
two spaces by default. Publishers often want "uniform spacing,"
but then you get some like Elsevier (big journals publisher)
that have the opposite in their submission guidelines:
http://authors.elsevier.com/GuideForAuthors.html?PubID=622785&dc=GFA
The same habit usually happens after ! and ? too.

It's usual and taught, and so valid in English. That's why
you'll find some people who were taught typing using them.
(I don't, but mostly because I used computers to write for
publication and groff, latex, xhtml and all don't care much.)

I appreciate the need to simplify matters, but avoid misleading
people with exaggeration, as it causes confusion later.

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/