Re: About dpkg translation, please consider i18n when choosing words

On 14/06/2005, at 10:59 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

I'm not sure about two spaces between sentences; this seems to be valid in English although it is not in most other languages. My personal opinion
is that it is a waste of space ;-)
Note also that double spaces are getting obsoleted because HTML renders
those as a single space anyway.

Double spaces are not valid in English. I have no idea why they are used in some .po files. I always remove them.

I am fairly sure that having a space before an exclamation mark (or any
other punctuation) as in both examples above is _not_ correct.

You are right. We occasionally use them in Vietnamese, to avoid obscuring a vowel which has an accent hooked on the right-hand-side, but only then. Definitely not valid in English.

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc