Re: Debian Installer string freeze begins - 1st status

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:26:07PM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen schrieb:
> >On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:15:07AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
>
> >>I'd say that current English is closer to US than GB so let's go ahead
> >>for US.
>
> >I think it is better to use the en_GB spelling, as this is the better
> >default for the world. Eg in Europe, and in India, the prefered spelling
> >is en_GB, also in most other countries (AU, NZ, IE). It is almost only in
> >the US
> >that the US spelling is preferred.
>
> Hard to find a measure.
> Trying google restricted to lang_en and some words with different
> spelling (e.g. utilization versus utilisation) gives ~60% en_US
> spelling. This small difference allows ideological and cultural
> discussions ...

I was more referrring to what is the official writing in different
English speaking countries, like IE, NZ, AU, CA, IN and ZA.
They may have different spelling than GB and US, but my understanding is
that their official spelling are much closer to en_GB than en_US, and
thus it would be better in terms of mnaintainability to use en_GB as the
base language for the .po-files. This would also minimize the number
of differences that need to be made, and thus the overall level of
work to have proper English coverage in Debian.

Best regards
Keld