Debian Installer string freeze begins - 1st status

As part of the release process for Debian Installer, a string freeze
from July 20th 00:00UTC up to July 25th 00:00 UTC was decided. The
goal is currently a release at the very end of July.

We start in a quite very good shape : 19 languages have already
reached 100%.

Since last release attempts and last string freeze, in late May, the
number of supported languages did not deeply change. Croatian is the
only major addition (but, wow, 2/3 of the work done in a few days) and
Farsi continues progressing.

The addition of Hindi and Vietnamese is currently
unsuccessful. Vietnamese does not move after giving some hopes at the
beginning. Hindi never really started, as well as Serbian.

No success currently with any African language despite some repetitive
calls for translators in the translate.org mailing lists.

We got some contacts very recently for Macedonian support.

20 complete languages:
  zh_CN, uk, tr, sq, sk, ro, pt_BR, pl, nl, lt, ja, hu, he, fr,
  eu, en, es, da, cs, bg
13 nearly complete:
  ru, pt, nn, ko, id, fi, el, de, ca, bs, it, cy, ar
 5 partial:
  zh_TW, nb, sl, sv, gl
 2 very partial:
  hr, fa
 1 anecdotic:
  vi
 3 with contacts but no work yet:
  sr, mk, hi

I began working on scripts for merging all 1st stage d-i translations
in one single file and thus make translators work easier. One script
called "merge-translations" will build the XX.po files and another,
named "update-translations" will split them around to all individual
packages. Thus, nothing should change in the way packages handle
translations, but we probably will be able to make translators life easier.

These scripts are far from being ready, especially the
"update-translations" script. They are in scripts/ in the Debian
Installer SVN source tree. They won't probably be useful until late August