Re: Problems with locales and Norwegian

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:02:01 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín
<carlos@pemas.net> posted to debian-i18n:
 > El dom, 01-02-2004 a las 13:49, Preben Randhol escribió:
 >> Problem is still that if one start Abiword from the Gnome menus it
 >> doesn't work.
 > You should add your language preference to your profile.
 > If you use GDM, just select the language you want from its menu.
 > If you use startx, I think you can just add "export LANG=nb_NO" inside
 > your .profile or .bashrc

Tangential, but I wanted to correct this.

Based on a quick browse of startx in stable, it doesn't look at your
.profile or .bashrc at all, and, to the best of my understanding,
shouldn't.

There ought to be a way to set environment variables for your X
session, but AFAIK, nothing is portable across all X environments.

I have in my .gnomerc the following

test -e $HOME/.profile && . $HOME/.profile
exec /etc/X11/gdm/gnomerc

but obviously different measures will be needed for different
environmewnts.

I have taken care to put in my .profile only stuff I want in all
plausible environments, and source it from the pertinent startup
scripts for X, bash, sh, etc.

/* era */

--
formail -s procmail <http://www.iki.fi/era/spam/ >http://www.euro.cauce.org/