Re: DDTP and po[-debconf] files (was: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:56:19AM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > > translating messages by running msgunfmt on .mo files.  You are losing
> > > comments written by previous translators.
> >
> > and?
> >
> > Maybe the DDTS is not compatible with this po like comments. But is this
> > a problem? IMHO no.
>
> I really think that those comments MUST be in the source file presented to
> the translators. I agree that those comments are not needed by the scripts
> used to put the translation in the package or to the developpers, but
> translators DO need them.

Ok, let look of debconf po file: What comments did you need? Please some
example...

(I also translate some stuff and I don't miss this comments...)

> > My dream:
> >   The package maintainer make only 'his' english templates file and
> >   upload the package to the archive.
> >   The DDTP will catch all this new stuff, translate it all in 1-2 weeks
> >   automagical into all languages.
> >   If the package maintainer make a new build, some build scripts
> >   download the translations from the DDTP and include this to this
> >   package (the old system) or the DDTP make a XXX-i10n-XX package itself
> >   and upload this with all the translation.
>
> Yup, we more or less share the same dream. The only point is that there is
> no automagie here. Some human being will do the translation work. They need
> love from us to do their job.

s/automagie/automagie from package maintainer viewpoint/

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Herr, schmeiss Hirn vom Himmel ... ;-)" "Wozu? es wuerde vermutlich ohnehin