Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:09:58PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:15:07PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> [...]
> > > What kind of debconf templates are you translating? The ddtp page is not
> > > clear about that, and I seem to remember that you still translate debconf
> > > templates of the old generation, ie, the ones handled by debconf-utils.
> >
> > you can btw test the first files, see
> > http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/base-config/templates-de.po
>
> There are several problems:
>   * all msgids have a trailing space
>   * msgids are not unique
>   * encoding is not specified

Oh, I know this all. This are the first files..., I will add/change this
points. This was no announcement of the availability of po files.

> But the main problem is that you are extracting templates from binary
> packages, and not source packages.  This is exactly as if you were

Maybe I should change the source from binary packages to source
packages. The nice point with the binary packages is: You can find the
templates all on the some place in all packages.

If I use the source, the server must search the templates and guess it.
And maybe the template file will be change with some patch files etc.
in some packages build scripts.

> translating messages by running msgunfmt on .mo files.  You are losing
> comments written by previous translators.

and?

Maybe the DDTS is not compatible with this po like comments. But is this
a problem? IMHO no.

My dream:
  The package maintainer make only 'his' english templates file and
  upload the package to the archive.
  The DDTP will catch all this new stuff, translate it all in 1-2 weeks
  automagical into all languages.
  If the package maintainer make a new build, some build scripts
  download the translations from the DDTP and include this to this
  package (the old system) or the DDTP make a XXX-i10n-XX package itself
  and upload this with all the translation.

You get the point? We don't need comments in the po files! The po file
is only a container for the transport from the DDTP to the binary
package. Nobody will look into it. Nobody will read this comments...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
Documentation is is like sex; bad documentation is much better than