Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

So, what do you guys think ?

To sum up my point, the best solution would be that translators become the
same status inside Debian than maintainers.

One way to achieve that is that binary packages would contain not only
data.tar.gz, but also data-XX.tar.gz (and maybe doc-XX.tar.gz, but that's
another point), one for each language. Then, building a binary package would
build all parts. So, when the maintainer release a version, he release the
whole stuff. Then, translator would be provided a way to overide the data-XX
part with updated translation. That's a bit what's proposed in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200108/msg02329.html

I agree that there is still a lot of design issues with that approach (what
will be the package version when a translation is updated?), but if we could
get this working, it would be the best.

As long as this solution isn't effective (ie a loooong time), we have to
search for tricks.

One possible trick is to create a pseudo-package for each translation team
(this pseudo-package could be named qa-<language), and allow bug repport
against it to:
  1) allow bug repport in the local language, and not english
  2) allow translators to see immediatly bugs of their work, without asking
     them to monitor all the bugs of all the packages they translate.

Another trick is a 'translation' tag for the BTS (see #114221). Also
usefull (with PTS, translators could subscribe to all translation bugs of
packages they translate), but not as much as the first trick, since:
  - I'm not sure of the maintainers' reaction when they see a bug in french
    with the "translation" tag.
  - translator will get all translation bugs, not only the ones for their
    language. Could be overcome by the creation of many 'translation-XX'
    tags, but is this what we want?

Proposed solutions which does not work well IMHO:
  - keep as we are: bugs are repported against the package containing it:
    every translation team have to have the needed manpower to monitor *all*
    bugs submitted against *all* Debian package.
  - keep as we are, but use the 'upstream' tag for translations issues.
    That means that translators are denied the use of the BTS and have to
    handle bugs without the coresponding tools.
  - don't use the BTS, but the bug tracking system from the DDTP:
    works only for pkg descriptions, debconf templates (?), and so, but not
    for man pages, program messages, and so on.
  - http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ch-feedback.en.html
    This is specifically designed for documentation, but does not take
    several translation issues into account.

Here we are. Now, there is two solutions. Either each team continue to
search its own trick on its side, and we continue to hack like we do now, or
we do speak between translation coordinators to see which solution could be
developped, and we try to organize ourselves as a debian-l10n team, using
the same well designed methods for the well known issues.

That's up to you, guys.

Bye, Mt.