Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:31:08AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
[...]
> > There are several problems:
> >   * all msgids have a trailing space
> >   * msgids are not unique
> >   * encoding is not specified
>
> Oh, I know this all. This are the first files..., I will add/change this
> points. This was no announcement of the availability of po files.

I thought you were asking for feedback, sorry for the trouble.

[...]
> > translating messages by running msgunfmt on .mo files.  You are losing
> > comments written by previous translators.
>
> and?
>
> Maybe the DDTS is not compatible with this po like comments. But is this
> a problem? IMHO no.

You also lose fuzzy strings, __Choices is not supported, etc.

> My dream:
>   The package maintainer make only 'his' english templates file and
>   upload the package to the archive.
>   The DDTP will catch all this new stuff, translate it all in 1-2 weeks
>   automagical into all languages.
>   If the package maintainer make a new build, some build scripts
>   download the translations from the DDTP and include this to this
>   package (the old system) or the DDTP make a XXX-i10n-XX package itself
>   and upload this with all the translation.
>
> You get the point? We don't need comments in the po files! The po file
> is only a container for the transport from the DDTP to the binary
> package. Nobody will look into it. Nobody will read this comments...

Your point is that everything works wonderful if the DDTP is the only
source of l10n.  Sorry but this is not acceptable, translators can
decide to manage their translations in a different way.
What you describe is mostly a clone of the Free Translation Project,
but information is centralized by the DDTS whereas it is distributed
in PO files by the FTP.  This is IMO a huge difference, I much prefer
the latter.

Denis