Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:00:36PM +0100, Pierre Machard wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 01:31:17AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> [...]
> > The i10n packages have real package maintainers, we have a real
> > BTS-package. Also we can make new i10n packages, without any delay from
> > the bin package maintainer.
>
> I would like to insist on the difficulies to join the Debian project
> as translators. Not beeing consider as a DD mean that every time one
> needs to submit a translation on a cvsroot, he has to find a kindly
> proxy who will submit the l10n files.

I don't see any problem, if we use a DDTP like system for the
translation. Everybody can translate some text, everybody can review the
translation and the 'packages' are build on the fly (without any delay
from some normal package maintainers and all this binary buildd's)

As normal translator/reviewer you don't need to join the Debian project.
But you can. Some packages with a working upstream translation
group/service (like KDE, GNOME, ...) can't join a Debian system. They
need some normal translation Maintainer, who get the translations from
the upstream and make normal packages.

But we must avoid the dependence of the translator from the binary
packages maintainers! This is IMHO one big problem today.

> That's why I believe that Martin's idea to create an entry into the
> BTS is the nice idea.

and you must wait for the binary packages maintainers... Not nice...

(we should make this BTS packages/tags today, it is a improvement, but
in future we should make a better system...)

> > Some translator can build a own aptable http server with his newest
> > translations and maybe some DDTP-like system can build daily new i10n
> > packages, if it has new translations...
>
> Is that too difficult to 'build' l10n-package on the fly ? What I mean is
> that once you've choosen your language, apt could pick out the l10n
> files from a kind of repository.

if s/files/packages/ then ACK

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Ziemlich viele Firmen, die alle kein Linux benutzen, würden nach Abschaltung