Re: Language aggregation in www.d.o/intl/l10n

Hi.

I am Sérgio Ferreira from Portugal.

> IMHO, the need for language split depends from the
> portuguese-from-Portugal speakers. Nowadays i think that they don't have
> a project to translate web pages to portuguese native. Maybe i could be
> wrong, but if there is any project to do it, tell us!!! We need to know
> about it.

For what i know there is no Portuguese-from-Portugal debian project.

I think that we have an open office project, a translation team in
translation.sourceforge.net (where i am translating glibc) and a
Portuguese Linux distribution (caixa mágica).

About debian itself i just saw a presentation of people from the
Uiversidade de Évora claiming to be a debian club, but nothing with real
work like the brazilian.

I have just some 3 month(s) in this translation comunity, and i never
realy understand wy there is separated efforts in translation from
Portugal and Brazil (and in future maybe Angola, Moçambique, Timor, Cabo
Verde, etc).
Its true that there are some things that are diferent in each dialect, but
there is the CPLP effort (http://www.cplp.org) and the ortographic
agreement  for Portuguese Language, and the language its the same.
The free software comunity is also a very cooperating comunity.
OTH in software development having severall projects doing the same is a
good thing because we have diversity like in nature and if one fails or
goes by a wrong way, the other can survive.

So my doubt is: Wy have duplicated efforts doing the same thing ?

Please do not think in my words as an affirmation, i just want to
understand wy.

Cheers
Sérgio Ferreira