Language aggregation in www.d.o/intl/l10n

Is it possible to have language aggregation in [1]?

For example, pt_PT has only 8 files. It would be great if were possible
to rename them to pt.po, but Abiword, horde2, imp3, turba, mnemo and
squirrelmail all use only xx_XX format, so it would be difficult to ask
upstream to rename them.

Everybuddy and gtkam have xx_XX as well as xx languages, so I'm about to
send bugreports to maintainers, as well as updated .po files, asking
them to rename those files and to ask upstream to do the same.

Having agregation between xy and xy_XY languages would trully show those
language status, not just for Portuguese, but I guess to other languages
as well.

Debconf templates [2] and debconf gettext [3] both have it right [4].

Was this already discussed somewhere ? (I didn't find anything in a
quick look)
Is it possible ? It would help alot my soon-to-be project for Portuguese
translations :)

[1] http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/
[2] http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/templates/
[3] http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po-debconf/
[2] except for one debconf template for hu_HU, but debconf templating is
to be replaced for gettext and it will be fixed then, I'm sure

--
Bruno Rodrigues <bruno.rodrigues@litux.org>