Re: Language aggregation in www.d.o/intl/l10n

In gmane.linux.debian.internationalization.portuguese sergio@moredata.pt wrote:
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.internationalization.portuguese,gmane.linux.debian.internationalization.general
>
> Hi.
>
> I am Sérgio Ferreira from Portugal.

Hi Sérgio. (Olá from Lisbon)

>> IMHO, the need for language split depends from the
>> portuguese-from-Portugal speakers. Nowadays i think that they don't have
>> a project to translate web pages to portuguese native. Maybe i could be
>> wrong, but if there is any project to do it, tell us!!! We need to know
>> about it.

Hi Gustavo. I was only talking about .po package files.
Webpages will be a subject we'll talk later as soon as I get more people for
translators.
Now, I thank you for the good work with webpages, for bringing
portuguese to debian's front face.

> For what i know there is no Portuguese-from-Portugal debian project.

It's being prepared. If you are interested, talk to me. ;)

> I think that we have an open office project, a translation team in
> translation.sourceforge.net (where i am translating glibc) and a
> Portuguese Linux distribution (caixa mágica).

Great. Good work!

> I have just some 3 month(s) in this translation comunity, and i never
> realy understand wy there is separated efforts in translation from
> Portugal and Brazil (and in future maybe Angola, Moçambique, Timor, Cabo
> Verde, etc).

And this is why I've requested the pt_PT to pt changes. This way, all
portuguese dialects could use european portuguese (pt) as base, and if they
want (as BR), they can create their own locale files (like pt_BR does),
based (or not) in original pt files.

To minimize the effort, as BR people are more than us, it would be great if
they could create themselves those pt locales, either by duplicating
pt_BR, or by creating only pt and later, when a european pt team wants,
they could move pt to pt_BR and update pt.

But this is just an idea of mine, that should be discussed. ;)

For example, for packages without pt (or pt_PT) .po file, I'm
automatically copying BR translations (keeping credits), and fuzzi'ing
them all. This way pt translators will only need to check them and
replace those different words between our two languages.

> Its true that there are some things that are diferent in each dialect, but
> there is the CPLP effort (http://www.cplp.org) and the ortographic
> agreement  for Portuguese Language, and the language its the same.
> The free software comunity is also a very cooperating comunity.
> OTH in software development having severall projects doing the same is a
> good thing because we have diversity like in nature and if one fails or
> goes by a wrong way, the other can survive.

I guess there's a consense that we need two different languages for
Portugal and Brazil for what I saw in ml, webpages and irc channels.

But we can (and should) still cooperate.

> So my doubt is: Wy have duplicated efforts doing the same thing ?

> Please do not think in my words as an affirmation, i just want to
> understand wy.

One answer given in irc: do you prefer "ficheiro" or "arquivo" for
"file" translation ?