Re: K15 mini iso

Thanks for this Michael,

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 15:17, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:43:22AM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
> > This has turned out to be a tidy image and should not give any
> > problems.
>
> I tested it now on qemu and I found three minor issue:
>
>  1. In the installer, the Hurd ext2 partitions are not created with -b
>     4096, so partitions smaller than around 500 MB will panic on first
>     boot.

I will have a fiddle with this.

>  2. There is a /usr->. symlink, not a real /usr.

There was a debate about this a while back.  To sysmlink or not to
symlink.  So
1.  Should there be a symlink or not?
2.  Should usr directories sit on / or /usr/ (as in Linux)?

>  3. If the user does not add "-s" to the grub kernel line for the
> second reboot (before running native-install a second time), the
> /dev/tty1 passive translator does not get and a subsequent reboot into
> multi-user mode will fail with an ipc error.  I suggest to just add
> tty1 to the list of devices to create during the first
>     native-install.
>
> The reason for 3. is that on second reboot, /libexec/runsystem will be
> run if you don't use "-s", which touches /dev/tty1 for some obscure
> reason (I introduced that myself some time ago) and then later on when
> the /dev/tty[1-6] devices get created by the hurd package, /dev/tty1 is
> not touched as it exists already.
>
> Note that we had quite a few people having issues with 3 for K14
> already. so adding the work-around of creating tty1 in native-install
> seems worth it to me.

Ah, these people that don't use my grub floppy or cdrom ;)  Single user
has the -s option.  Okay will fix.

I will quietly work on the revisions and let everyone how I get on.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business