Re: fdisk

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:05:27AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:

> The most desirable to be reused is the one from cfdisk (ncurses),

Do you know about nparted? perhaps we don't need a frontend for cfdisk too.

> I have finished the port, and will send it to the bts this night if
> nobody objects.

I think that utilities like more, whereis and rev would fit very well in the
shellutils GNU package, for example.

On the other hand, there are some utils that don't correspond to the
GNU system. Note that util-linux is an essential package. mkswap creates
linux swap signatures, fsck.minix is useless untill we have minix support
and shouldn't be an essential component anyway.

In my opinion, we should put these utilities in more adequate packages
so we can get rid of what we just don't need.

> from bsdutils:
>
> 	script
> 	logger
> 	renice
> 	wall
> 	replay
>
> from util-linux:
>
> 	arch
> 	more
> 	fsck.minix
> 	mkfs
> 	mkfs.minix
> 	mkswap
> 	ipcs
> 	ipcrm
> 	setsid
> 	namei
> 	setterm
> 	mcookie
> 	whereis
> 	ddate
> 	getopt
> 	rev
> 	chkdupexe
>
> 	# Hurd limitation -> no large file support
> 	#   work fine on images < 2 GiB
> 	#   should work on images >= 2 GiB w/ dos partition tables
> 	#     w/o extended partitions.
> 	cfdisk
> 	fdisk
> 	sfdisk
>
> 	# not included -> conflicts with hurd.deb
> 	getty

great work btw :)

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992