Re: Bochs + hurd problem

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:58:07AM +0300, Catalin wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> >As said before, Bochs is much slower than Vmware, and installing Debian
> >GNU/Hurd in Bochs could take you several days. I suggest that you take
> >a pre-installed image from:
> >
> >http://khazad.dyndns.org/gnu/bochs
> >
> >It boots and is operative, but there are some problems as described in
> >the PROBLEMS file. If you can fix any of these, please feedback.
>
> I downloaded the image and it works very good but I am used with mc
> (midnight commander) and it's not in there....what is the simplest
> method to install mc inside this image that contains hurd?

There are a few ways, but the simplest is probably:

- calculate offset of second partition using output from fdisk
- use losetup with the correct offset (see README.Debian)
- mount the loopback device
- put your debian package there

despite that, there are a few problems as listed in the PROBLEMS file.
one of them is that you can't install debian packages and manual
untarring corrupts the filesystem for some reason.

I wouldn't play much with GNU in Bochs if you aren't going to debug
and fix that stuff, it realy isn't a confortable environment for learning.

cheers,

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992