Re: Q: Hurd & pthreads

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 11:10:37AM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:

> A bit:  The hurd is not the one that will support pthreads -- it will be
> glibc.
>
> > What is the best approach to Hurd to implement pthreads?
>
> Start with what Mark has: http://soliton.wins.uva.nl/~kettenis/pthread/

I mentioned to Neal before that I started doing some work on that.
I actually implemented all the missing pthread functions except
pthread_sigmas() and sigwait(). Attached is the sum of my work.
It was mostly done during the holidays and it's far from even
actually working, but at least it's more recent then Marks' work.
But most of the code is there and it just needs to be successfully
integrated into the glibc source tree and corrected for compiler errors.

Beware, that another part of the code is not complete. The part that
actually allocates the stack and spawns a new thread. The code to
do that is actually there. I was simply debating whether to use
the __mach_setup_thread() fucntion provided by glibc or to write
something specifically for pthreads.

I didn't post the code sooner because I thought I'd be able to
complete it, however once the new year started school work took
over my time with a vengence.

Igor