Q: Hurd & pthreads

Hello all!

I'd like to know what is situation with threads in Hurd.
As I know (correct me if I'm wrong) Mach provide it's own thread model which
is incompatible with POSIX spec.
But all modern OSes should support pthreads because many latest programms
use it: new Apache, Gnome, etc. So far there is no doubt that Hurd should
support pthreads. (Is there?)
What is the best approach to Hurd to implement pthreads?

Is it possible to extend threads support in Mach up to POSIX?
Is it possible to port user-level threads( AKA Linux threads) to Hurd, will
it need changes in Mach?
Is Mach threads kernel or user level?
What is better: extend existing Mach threadig model or rewrite it from the
scratch?
How difficult are these tasks?

Can anyone of core developers tell what is Hurd threads direction?
Is there any decision or this question is open?

Vadim Chekan.