Re: hurd progress and bugs

 MB> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:05:30PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal
 MB> wrote:
 >> I don't know, but I've an idea that I'm not sure if it is correct;
 >> if it isn't, please correct me.  A library can be developed to
 >> hide the internal functions of the microkernel.

 MB> This library would be called libmom and indeed was started. But
 MB> it was dropped and removed, I don't know the reasons why.

I don't think there were reasons given yet; Thomas would have to
answer this question.

 >> Using this kind of library whould mean changing all mach calls
 >> inside the hurd, but when all of this have been done, anyone could
 >> use mach or fiasco.  Can this be implemented ???

 MB> Well, basically yes, if you include glibc in your consideration.
 MB> If it does pay off to have such a library I don't know.

Figure (http://fig.org/figure/) is an attempt to create this kind of
portability model for GNU programs to different environments (hardware
and kernel).

It's still quite immature, but if you want to discuss these ideas
further, you should do so on the Figure mailing list.  Until there is
a working implementation, and a clear integration plan for the Hurd,
this discussion is off-topic for any Hurd mailing lists.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)