Re: hurd progress and bugs

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:05:30PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:

> Using this kind of library whould mean changing all mach calls inside
> the hurd, but when all of this have been done, anyone could use mach
> or fiasco.

I took a look at L4/Fiasco some months ago.  Its IPC was quite unlike that
of Mach.  With Mach, references to ports are much like Unix file
descriptors.  With L4, they were more like IP addresses and IIRC they
could even be guessed -- but the recipient was always told who sent the
message, and could then reject unwelcome senders.  I got the impression
that port-based authentication in the Hurd would not be trivial to port to
L4 or Fiasco.