Re: hurd progress and bugs

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:05:30PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> > The people from fiasco say in their faq:
> >
> > Do you plan to port the GNU Hurd to the Fiasco µ-kernel?
> >     This indeed sounds like an interesting project -- but we currently
> >     don't have the resources to do it. Maybe you would like to do it?
> >     (hohmuth 98/10/10)
> >

> > Perhaps its really time to think about it.
> > How much time would it probably cost?
>
> I don't know, but I've an idea that I'm not sure if it is correct; if
> it isn't, please correct me.
> A library can be developed to hide the internal functions of the
> microkernel.

This library would be called libmom and indeed was started. But it
was dropped and removed, I don't know the reasons why.

If you can get hold of an older Hurd snapshot, you will find it in
the libmom directory.

I can probably check out the reasons for the removal in my email archive,
but I am not sure.

Note that you would only need to port glibc to the new microkernel.

> Using this kind of
> library whould mean changing all mach calls inside the hurd, but when
> all of this have been done, anyone could use mach or fiasco.
> Can this be implemented ???

Well, basically yes, if you include glibc in your consideration.
If it does pay off to have such a library I don't know.