Re: VTs (was: How to get more developers)

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 12:35:52AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:46:01PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 02:24:46PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Okay, here is a more thorough explanation: The server I mean gets the
> > > keyboard events directly from GNU Mach, and goes from that. So as long
> > > as GNU Mach and this server are fine, they will work correctly and
> > > process
> > > console switch command just fine, regardless of the state of the various
> > > terminals.
> >
> > I think we should exclude keyboard server from GNU Mach.
> > It would be way more flexible.
>
> I don't understand what you mean, can you elaborate please?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

In current model GNU Mach provides KEY codes to userspace programs,
and all modifying of keyboard layout must be done by Mach syscalls.

I think we should make some userspace program (1 process per keyboard,
if someone has more than one keyboard) that would map keyboard's
SCAN codes (received from Mach) to KEY codes (sent to terminal program).

currently :
          SCANCODES  (TRANSLATION)  KEYCODES
keyboard     ->          Mach          ->     terminal programs

proposed :
          SCANCODES        SCANCODES  (TRANSLATION)  KEYCODES
keyboard     ->      Mach     ->         keybd          ->     terminal programs