Re: How to get more developers (was: Mailing List traffic and...)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 08:08:45PM +0100, Adam Sampson wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 12:16:14AM -0700, Shawn wrote:
> > I say screw VTs. screen kicks soooo much ass, VTs are a waste of
> > time.
>
> Hear, hear. All we need is a console driver which is fast and supports
> a sufficient subset of the VT220 to get screen running; we can then avoid
> all the complexity than Linux's console has to put up with.

Well, not really. As our console driver would be in userspace, it can be fat
and include fancy features like vt's, readline (?, but it is on the task
list), etc.

Users who don't want to use this could replace the driver with their
own implementation. (As far as it makes sense with the console driver).

Anyway, the bottom line is that user space software wins again :)