Re: How to get more developers (was: Mailing List traffic and...)

> If you accept opinions from people who have just booted the Hurd a
> handful of times (but who are seasoned Debian-GNU/Linux users), and if
> you don't mind an answer that is too personal,
>
> > 4.   Lack of hello-worlds.
> > BIg hello-worlds archive could convert many hackers to Hurd.
> > Having to spend two weeks reading sources before making anything
> > interesting discourages.
> >
> > 5.   Lack of PPP.
> > For most Europeans, PPP is something every OS must have to be usable.
>
> Agreed, agreed, and:
>
> 6.   Lack of multiple VTs.
> If the Hurd had multiple VTs then I would use it often when I only
> need to edit text/programs in supported languages/etc, and I would
> explore the system in the intervals... Yes, I know that I could use X
> or lots of ^Zs (or maybe "screen" if it's working now) but that's a
> matter of taste...

I say screw VTs. screen kicks soooo much ass, VTs are a waste of
time. The ability to just say 'go to the window where I'm running
emacs' slays 'hmm, where was emacs. VT1? nope. VT4? hm, no. VT2? ahh,
oh this isn't emacs. VT3, alright here we go...now what was I gonna
do?' VTs can be "useful" in a vague sense, but I don't think its
really much of a priority.