Re: VTs (was: How to get more developers)

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 07:52:01AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 12:35:52AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:46:01PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > >
> > > I think we should exclude keyboard server from GNU Mach.
> > > It would be way more flexible.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean, can you elaborate please?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marcus
>
> In current model GNU Mach provides KEY codes to userspace programs,
> and all modifying of keyboard layout must be done by Mach syscalls.
>
> I think we should make some userspace program (1 process per keyboard,
> if someone has more than one keyboard) that would map keyboard's
> SCAN codes (received from Mach) to KEY codes (sent to terminal program).

Oh, absolutely. The final keyboard/terminal server should handle scan codes
and not mach pseudo key codes, which lack a zillion features anyway.

To see how the responsibilities are to be distributed, take a look at Kalles
colortext, which sits between Mach and the term server. This is the program
that should get the scan codes instead the Mach codes, and this is the
program where virtual consoles would be implemented. (It makes sense to have
both in one server. What you do with multikeyboards and multiscreens is not
too important right now).

See http://stekt.oulu.fi/~tosi/gnu/hurd#toc_colortext
for the source code.

Thanks for pointing this out,