VTs (was: How to get more developers)

It is userspace - meaning: you have to log in first before you have
consoles. I fins it very comfortable on Linux, to have syslog output sent to
tty12. So no matter what happens, I can simply switch to tty12 and see
what's going on internally in my computer. That will not be possible that
easy in userspace.

It runs on top of VT220 - meaning: Once you send a control sequence that
screws up the VT220 completely (so that you have to chance to type "reset"
any more) you are out of luck. In my time working on Linux, I have had quite
a number of consoles screwed up, but I have never ever been in a situation
that console switching was not possible any more (unless, of course, the
computer was completely dead)

I do not believe that one will ever get a single console with userspace VTs
as reliable as the Linux VTs are.

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!