Re: Hurd CVS and X Debugging [Was: Re: Plans for X]

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 09:44:01PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> Well,
> the curious thing was that the hurd debs from 1020 cvs don't include the
> following translators: mouse, kbd, streamdev.

Those are only included in the Debian source. The latter should probably
be in CVS, but the former both are simply too gross :) streamdev should get
pluggable modules support and handle kbd, mouse special cases with those.

> 4. kbd translator returns Interrupted System Call at open(). I can't
>    reproduce this seperate from the Xserver, so this is a weird problem.
>    Trying several times usually leads to success.
>
> Already reported prestarting kbd translator keeps this error from
> occurring.

I saw this even with a running translator, so no, it doesn't stop it,
but probably reduces the likelihood of happening.

> Doesn't fix the problem though.  I looked at the X mouse code
> a bit and it's opening in non-blocking mode.  Opening it in blocking mode
> may hang and we'd have to do ioctl to change mode.

Although supported by glibc, I don't know if change open modes is supported
by the current kbd,mouse servers. I think I really have to audit the kbd and
mouse server code, it is quite old, and was never seriously revised.
Note that the same servers work with 3.3.6 just fine, and I don't think we
have identified the heart of matter.

> Really, this needs
> to have some error checking and retry logic.  Kbd is probably the same.

Although such code would help here, it shouldn't be necessary. kbd and mouse
should come up and respond to the open call just fine.