Re: Booting the Hurd

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 11:05:37PM -0500, Michael Lankton wrote:
> Why is it that linux requires LILO and the Hurd requires GRUB to boot?

Linux can be booted with LILO, GRUB, loadlin.exe, syslinux.sys, NT's boot
manager, OS/2's boot manager, PartitionMagic and pretty much anything else.
I use loadlin.exe myself, as I have to run a DOS program to get my soundcard
working. There's certainly nothing particularly special about Linux's boot
process.

If you do find a situation where you need LILO, you can always install LILO
in the bootblock of a partition and chainload it from another bootloader.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@gnu.org