Re: simple instructions

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 07:51:58AM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I recommend first installing a Debian GNU/Linux system -- in fact, you'll
> *have* to install at least the base system of some Linux distribution in order
> to bootstrap the Hurd.

Or BSD.

> (unless the boot disks are ready?  Marcus?)

*laugh* ;)

(seriously, boot disk? yes. Root disk? No. installation routine? Don't even
think of it right now)

> I recommend making the swap 128MB,

Yes. At least (the Hurd can deal with bigger partitions, but linux can't, I
think. At least 2.0.x)

> if you only want to use Linux for as long as it takes to bootstrap
> the Hurd, you probably need less than 50MB.

It is a bit difficult to get the Debian standard system in less than 50 MB.
If you have enough disk space, make it 70MB to save yourself trouble at
installation time.

>   The source for the Debian packages can be downloaded with the command
> 'apt-get source hurd' and 'apt-get source gnumach' once you have a system up.

Well, not under the Hurd, though. The source is also available at
ftp.debian.org/dists/unstable/main/source, for the apt-impaired.

`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de                        PGP Key ID 36E7CD09
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/