simple instructions

Hello, I'm a college student majoring in CS who wants to install the GNU/Hurd platform on my machine. I am not computer shy but I am not familiar at all with Unix.

First is the partitioning process kind of dangerous? And once the partition is made is it easy to get off, and is there no way the GNU/Hurd platform will mess up the rest of my hard drive?

I was wondering if there were fairly straightforward instructions to:
	partition the hard drive (including where to get software)
	install GNU/Hurd (including where to get software)
	run basic programs

Also how would I then look at the source code for the Hurd kernel?

Thank you very much for your time

	Kevin