Re: Booting the Hurd

Why is it that linux requires LILO and the Hurd requires GRUB to boot?
I run Openstep and FreeBSD here at home, and in the past I have used
several BSD based systems and two System V systems, and all of them will
boot with any boot manager I've ever tried.  I use the NeXT boot manager
out of habit, but if I recall, way back when I used to use linux I had
to use LILO or else linux wouldn't boot.  Are LILO and GRUB doing
something magical at boot?  Is there a good reason for it or is it an
example of an area where the code was neglected to an extent in both
linux and the Hurd?
Sorry to digress, just really curious.