Re: Booting the Hurd

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 05:39:15PM -0700, Nick Jennings was heard to say:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 02:08:53AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 05:22:35PM -0700, Nick Jennings wrote:
> > > all fine and well, except I cannot figure out how
> > > to set LILO to boot the hurd.
> >
> > That's still fine and well. use GRUB.
> >
> > Lilo is the LInux LOader.
> >
> > Marcus
>
> 	Ah, GRUB, ok. Now, Im running LILO on my Master Boot Record. So
> how do I install GRUB without screwing up LILO? Do I Install GRUB on the
> HURD partition and somehow tell lilo to run GRUB? or should I put them
> BOTH on their respective partitions & then use a 3rd party booter (Such as
> DocsBoot) to boot either partition?

  You have a number of options:

    -> Make a GRUB boot floppy and use it whenever you want to boot the Hurd.
    -> Keep LILO as your primary bootloader, chainload GRUB from some other
      partition (eg, the Hurd one).
    -> Use GRUB as your bootloader for both Linux and the Hurd.

  I personally recommend doing each of these in order, as the experience of
doing each is helpful for correctly doing the next step.  The reason I
recommend eventually replacing Lilo is that Grub is much better than LILO
unless you have a system that it can't run at all on (eg, SCSI drives), and
it's aesthetically displeasing to have multiple bootloaders :).  For
more information on how to install Grub on a boot disk or a partition, see its
info documentation, particularly the section called "automated installation".
It has examples of floppy and hard disk installs. To see how to chainload from
LILO, see lilo.conf(5).

  Oh, and it goes without saying that you should be careful when installing on
partitions that you don't overwrite the wrong boot sector, and that you should
get a working boot floppy before replacing your primary bootloader.

  Daniel

--
The only thing worse than infinite recursion is infinite recursion.